In the 1870s, Playa Del Rey was born as the location of the first attempt of a dredged harbor in Santa Monica Bay for shipping to Asia. However, due to extensive flooding, the beginnings of the dredged harbor became the Playa Del Rey Lagoon, now a regional public park. Surrounding land became Playa del Rey, originally named Palisades del Rey, in 1921 as a neighborhood land development by Dickinson & Gillespie Co. This area of sand dunes was the last developed stretch of coastal land in the city of Los Angeles. All of the houses were custom built, many owned by Hollywood actors and producers, including Cecil B. Demille, Charles Bickford, and others. Construction in Playa del Rey surged in 1928 with the development of the Del Rey Hills neighborhood in the Eastern part of the community, and the move of Loyola University to the adjacent community of Westchester. The southern portion of the original Playa del Rey development, known as "Surfridge," is now vacant. The expensive homes that were so coveted, now were either moved to new locations or were demolished to facilitate the expansion of Los Angeles International Airport (LAX). Interestingly enough, in order to address concerns about the noise of increasing jet plane traffic, The City of Los Angeles condemned the southern section of Playa del Rey. The city also went one step further,purchased all of the homes, and currently barbed-wire fences now protect the vacant land and old street. A sign now shows that this once heavily inhabited area is now a protected habitat of the endangered El Segundo blue butterfly.